Vai alla Homepage del Portale di Ateneo Second Cycle Degree/Two Year Master in Civil Engineering

F.A.Q. (Frequently Asked Questions)

Answers to some FAQs from Prospective Students


What are the steps I need to follow in order to enrol in the course? In order to enrol in our Master Degree (second cycle degree), you need to comply with the following steps:

Step 1: PRE-ACCEPTANCE PROCEDURE (mandatory for non-EU students, recommended for European students): students are required to submit a preliminary application to ask the Degree Programme’s Board to check if their curriculum satisfies the academic requirements of the course. For second cycle degree programmes (two year masters) a Bachelor's degree is needed (3 or 4 years) before the end of the enrolment period at UniBo (end of December). If students are still concluding their Bachelor program at the application time, they will receive a "sub-condicio" statement of admission. Check on the programme’s website deadlines and regulations for pre-acceptance procedure.

Step 2: PRE-ENROLMENT AT THE LOCAL ITALIAN DIPLOMATIC REPRESENTATION (only for non-EU students): in case of positive evaluation of your pre-application (step 1), an official letter of pre-acceptance (“eligibility letter”) will be issued. The letter can be used by non-EU students to start the pre-enrolment procedure through the Italian Consulate/Embassy/Institute of Culture in their home country (see the official web page of the University of Bologna about admission procedures for international students:

Step 3: ENROLMENT IN THE UNIVERITY OF BOLOGNA (from July to December): After completing pre-enrolment procedure at the Embassy, accepted students are invited to enrol in UNIBO, complying with the following procedure:
·       Enter “Studenti Online” website (;
·       pay the first instalment of the registration fee or the full annual fee (single instalment). You may pay by credit card, having completed the application for registration, or in person, at a branch of Unicredit using the payment code provided by Studenti Online;
·       present or send by mail the required documents to the Student Administration Office in charge of your degree programme (see the following page for details:

Student’s enrolment takes place indicatively between 27 July and 1st December 2015 (it is as well possible to register up to 30 December, paying a surcharge on the registration fee).

I am not an Italian citizen nor a citizen of the European Union. Can I apply? Yes, you can. You should contact the Italian Consulate/Embassy in your area for information about the procedure for applying to Italian universities. More information for international students is available on the University of Bologna website: ( Please pay attention to the various requirements of the Italian Embassy in your country for studying abroad. Most deadlines and requirements are established by the Central Government, therefore there is nothing we can do if students do not abide by the requirements or if they do not present the correct documents within the deadlines.

What are the application/enrolment deadlines? Deadlines for pre-application may vary depending on the course you have chosen, so please read the Degree Programme’s “Call for Admission” or the Course’s website section “How to apply” in order to get information about specific rules and deadlines. Please note that non-European students need to comply with pre-enrolment procedure at the Italian Embassy or Consulate in their country. Pre-enrolment deadline is set by the Italian Government, and it is usually at the end of June, so students need to send pre-application in advance in order to be ready to complete the procedure on time (see details on the Italian Ministry of Education website: and on UNIBO website: Non-EU applicants are invited to check if the deadline set by the course is compatible with the deadline set by the Italian Embassy in their home countries.

May I ask to be transferred from a course in another University I'm already following? Yes, and up to 30 credits can be recognized of courses already followed in other Universities. Write to the Director of the Course Board to have a recognition table of your previous exams, and see details of the administrative procedure on:

Is the course equivalent to a Laurea Magistrale, according to the Italian Regulations? Yes, for the Italian regulation this is a Laurea Magistrale, and gives access to the Board of Engineering (Section A), after the admission exam.

Is there any English proficiency certificate required in order to be enrolled in the programme? In order to enrol in UNIBO international Master Degrees, incoming students whose first language is not English must present evidence of proficiency in English which must correspond to B2 level of CEFR or higher. See the Programme’s call for application for details about recognised English certificates.

Note that, for non EU students, some Embassies require specific certificates attesting the level of English proficiency. Students are required to check at the Embassy what is actually requested.

What kind of English proficiency certification is required? A minimum B2 level of English proficiency is required in order to be admitted to the Programme.  Proof of English language proficiency is demonstrated by submitting any one of the following: - Certificates: TOEFL, IELTS, CAMBRIGE SUITE, TOEIC, Trinity College (minimum scores to be considered equivalent to B2 level being the following: IELTS 5,5; TOEFL PBT 507-557; TOEFL CBT 180-217; TOEFL IBT 80-99; Cambridge First Certificate (FCE); Trinity College of London ISE II), - Having attended a first cycle degree (bachelor) held in English (to be stated in the CV). - Having passed a B2 level English exam in a previous study plan. - English being the student's mother tongue (to be stated in the CV).

What qualifications are required to apply? You need a first cycle degree (bachelor’s degree or Laurea Triennale) with the CV requirements as deliberated by the Course’s Board. Please check specific curriculum requirements in the section “How to apply” of the course’s website.

What percentage should a candidate attain in his bachelor’s degree to be eligible to apply for the programme? For students with an Italian bachelor's degree, specific curriculum requirements and bachelor’s percentage are set by the Course’s Board, so please visit the section “How to apply” in order to check whether you meet those requirements. For international students there is no minimum requirement in terms of bachelor's percentage, but the Course’s Boards need to evaluate the candidate's documents (Curriculum Vitae, Transcript of records, recommendation letters, personal statement, English proficiency certificates) in order to confirm his/her eligibility to the course.

What degrees are acceptable from non-Italian Universities? You need a first cycle degree (bachelor’s degree), or equivalent bachelor’s achieved at legally recognized institutions. An academic background in the core subjects of the course is also required. In order to get a confirmation of eligibility, international students need to submit to the Course’s Board their Transcript of records, their CV, a personal statement and two recommendation letters, according to the procedure described in the “Call for applications” (section “How to apply”). After receiving the confirmation of eligibility by the Course’s Board, in order to enrol in the University of Bologna students holding a degree from a non-Italian university (either EU or extra-EU) need to produce the declaration of value of the Academic Degree issued by the Embassy or Consulate in their home country (to be presented to the Student Administration Office when enrolling). See details on

Is GRE a preliminary requirement enrol in the course? No, GRE is not a requirement to be enrolled in the course, but note that a GRE is necessary if you want to apply for UNIBO study grants programme “Action 2” (see details on: GRE might also be required for participation in Dual Degree programmes for admission to partner universities.

What documents do I need to send in my pre-application? In order to apply for eligibility, you need to submit your CV and your academic curriculum/transcript from the university where you earned the bachelor’s, any documents/certificates stating your knowledge of English, a personal statement and two recommendation letters. Please read the “Call for application” in the section “How to apply” in order to get information about specific rules and deadlines for pre-application.

Can the documents I send with my pre-application be copies or do they need to be original?  When you apply for pre-admission, you can send copies of the original records. Pre-admission does not imply any verification of the authenticity and of the legal validity of the certificates and diplomas you attached to your application. Your admission to the degree programme will be confirmed only after your arrival in Italy, as soon as the Course’s Board reviews your original documents, duly translated and validated by the competent Italian diplomatic authority.

Can I send my bachelor’s certificate later this year if the Board declares I am eligible, or should I submit it at once? If you do not have a bachelor’s certification yet, you can still apply for the preliminary evaluation and provide the documentation later if you are declared eligible. The month of December is mentioned as a deadline because it is the end of the enrolment period at UNIBO; until then students who have not already fulfilled all the requirements can receive a "sub-condicio" statement of admission.

Are there specific requirements or format for the personal statement and recommendation letters? There is no specific format/model to follow for recommendation letters and personal statement. In order to provide an effective personal statement, though, we strongly suggest that you include in it all the information that you consider relevant (highlighting your academic and professional experiences and referring to extra information that does not appear on your transcript of records or other official documents). At the same time, the statement needs to be clear and concise. When you write your statement, try to answer the following questions: why would the programme be beneficial to you, and why would you be a good candidate. When it comes to recommendation letters, it should be left to the referees sensitivity to state “what makes you special”, or at least to confirm your CV.

What documents do I need to present in order to register to UNIBO? If you’re an international student with a degree from a foreign academic institution, please be aware that in order to enrol in the University of Bologna your university or post-secondary qualification needs to be legalised, translated and presented with a Declaration of Value (
For the validation of your qualification, contact the Italian Embassy in your country and present:
 ·     Your university or post-secondary qualification; 
·     A certificate issued by the competent academic authority listing the exams you have passed;
·     Official study program including all the learning activities completed to obtain the foreign academic qualification, on the headed paper of the foreign university, with stamp and signature.
The Embassy must issue you with:
- a legalised and translated version of your qualification;
- the Declaration of Value of your qualification
- a legalised and translated version of the certificate listing the exams you have passed; - a translation of the detailed programmes of learning activities (please note that UNIBO does not require translation for programmes originally produced in English, French, German or Spanish);
- legalised and translated versions of any other academic and post-secondary certificates.

Can I use the Diploma Supplement instead of the Declaration of Value? EU students and non-EU equivalent students may replace the Declaration of Value with the Diploma Supplement for academic qualifications issued by institutes in the European Higher Education Area (Bologna Process), and may self-certify their qualifications and the exams they have passed.

What if my contact information changes? You have to notify any contact information change to the Students and Faculty Offices.

What if my background does not satisfy the admission requirements? If you need to integrate your background, you may choose to enrol at single course units at the University of Bologna. Additional information can be found on UNIBO web pages ( The Course’s Board may help you to identify which courses to take (usually students are advised to take courses of the second term of the first year).

How can I choose the Master Programmes I can enrol in?
You can browse the complete UNIBO programme catalogue on this page: (it will be updated in May with courses for a.y. 2015/16). You can filter the results by choosing “International Degree Programmes” (on the left column of the page).
Master programmes are marked with the symbol LM (which stands for Laurea Magistrale – 2nd cycle degree, 2-year Master programme).
Classes for a.y. 2015/16 will begin in September 2015.
Once you have selected the programme you would like to enrol in, please read carefully its specific admission requirements in the dedicated programme website. Calls for application for international programmes are usually published in advance (usually February), in order to allow international students to get pre-eligibility letters on time to pre-enrol at the Italian diplomatic representations abroad.
You might also want to contact the programme coordinator or tutor for more information on your eligibility (see on the “contacts” section of the Programme’s webpage).
Next to complying with specific admission procedures that your course of interest will set, if you are a non-EU citizen living outside Italy you also have to refer to the Italian Embassy or Consulate in your country of residence and pre-enrol there, usually in April/May.
If you want to apply for a Professional Master (postgraduate programme, mostly 1 year/60 ECTS) please browse the Professional Master catalogue and ask further info to
For Phd programmes please visit this page:

I’m a student from European Union. Do I need to apply for a visa or for a residence permit?No, students from EU enrolled in degree programs do not need a visa nor a residence permit. Still, they must register with the Registry office (Anagrafe) in the city they live and study in (Bologna, Cesena, Forlì, Rimini or Ravenna) prior to the expiry of the first three month period in Italy. Registration is free of charge. Please read instructions on this page:

I’m a student from a non-European country. Do I need a residence permit?
Yes. According to the Italian law, a residence permit is needed in order to live in Italy and register in the university. Non-EU students must present their application for a residence permit within 8 days of arriving in Italy.

How can I apply for a residence permit?
The University of Bologna counts on the collaboration of the ACLI to support students domiciled in Bologna and the province. If you wish, UNIBO International Student Desk, or the Programme Coordinator of your Master, will schedule an appointment for you at the Patronato ACLI (Via Lame 118/a): the support personnel will assist you free of charge.
Read instructions about the procedure on this page:


What is the enrolment fee for the programme?
The fee for our International Master's programmes for a.y. 2015/2016 is approximately 3,500 euros per year, which includes a course for the preparation of the TOEFL exam, the introductory courses (Ice-Breaking courses), the use of Computer Labs and many other facilities. See details about deadlines for fee payments here:
and about payment methods here:

What kinds of financial aid are available?
There are many opportunities for grants, scholarships and fee waivers for international students. Read general information about grants and fee waivers on this page:
With “Action 2” UNIBO offers grants for deserving international who wish to register for First Cycle, Second Cycle or Single Cycle Degree Programmes at the University of Bologna. “Action 2” grants are assigned on the basis of SAT and GRE test scores. The deadline for the presentation of applications for a.y. 2015-2016 is 31 March 2015. Read details on “Action 2” on this page:
With “Action 1” UNIBO offers exemptions of university tuition fees for deserving students (both EU citizens and non-EU citizens) wishing to register in International Degree Programmes. Find details on this page:
Students may as well apply for ER.GO benefits. Er.Go is the Regional Authority for the Right to Higher Education in Emilia Romagna, may be able to help you with your university expenses, through study grants, exemption of tuition fees and discounts on meals, residential services, international mobility grants, specific funding and financial support for disabled students. Every year on the website (usually from July) calls are published for financial aid granted to students according to set requirements based on income and merit. Please note that applications for financial support have different deadlines to those set for registration. If you are an international student and you are interested in Er.Go. benefits you can ask the Italian Embassy to translate and legalize also the documents required for the application.
At any rate, please note that the ER.GO education grant is paid to the recipients at a later stage after the enrolment: you need to pay the tuition fees with your own money in order for ER.GO to be able to see that you have enrolled at the University.

Will I get any help from UNIBO in finding an accommodation in Bologna?
UNIBO doesn’t offer campus housing and cannot provide direct help in finding an accommodation in Bologna. Anyway, the Regional Board for the Right to Higher Studies (ER.GO) manages university residences available at reduced rates for students who meet certain requirements concerning merit and income. If you meet the set requirements you may apply for a place in the residences run by ER.GO at discounted rates. According to availability, you may also find accommodation in the residences at full rates. See details on this page: .
Furthermore, on the basis of the agreement between the University of Bologna and CEUR (European Centre for University and Research), international students enrolling in degree programmes of the University of Bologna can contact the SAIS service ( SAIS offers support in the search for housing in the private market and helps students with rental agreements.
For further information please visit:

Can I book an accommodation in ER.go residences even if I’m not in the ranking list of students awarding the benefit?
You may try to book accommodation in one of the ER.GO residences as a "Free access Guest", by connecting to the site, link "servizi abitativi",/free-access/borsino.
The “borsino" online is the list of accommodation available and indicates the period of availability and costs. By clicking on the residence, you can see the location in the city.
After identifying the place you want to book, you have to indicate the dates you want to book for and click the confirm key.
The program will calculate the costs and, if you want to confirm the booking, you must select the link "Registration" and enter all required data, indicating a username and password of your own choice. The program will show the costs and you will have to confirm your reservation.
The reservation will be effective after the payment of deposit calculated by the program. The deposit must be paid following the indications of the program, online or by wire transfer.
In this latter case you must send copy of payment to the fax 0039 0516436790.
Should you find any difficulty in the procedure, please specify the problem contacting ER.GO through the Scrivici Service:
Take into account, however, that availability of free places starting from October is very poor, as places are reserved to students eligible in ranking lists.
Availability of places increase in time, as some students leave their places when they got their degree or for other reasons, mostly in December or March.

What is the cost of living in Bologna?
In order to esteem the cost of living in Bologna, you can refer to this page:

How can I get medical assistance while I'm in Italy?

The Italian National Health Service is called “Servizio Sanitario Nazionale” (SSN), and is divided into local Healthcare Boards (“Aziende Unità Sanitarie Locali - AUSL”).
Non-EU Students may apply for voluntary registration with the National Health Service and with a General Practitioner, by paying an annual lump sum fee.
The policy is valid for a calendar year (expiring on 31 December); otherwise they may maintain the right to compulsory registration, where provided for by law.
If you have a health insurance (taken out in Italy or in your own country and stamped by the Italian Embassy - certificate of conformity to Italian law signed by the insurance company) for the duration of the study programme you may go to any General Practitioner (“medico di famiglia”), choosing one from the list of doctors published on the website
If you need a specialist treatment, you can choose which doctor to go to directly, also on the advice of your chosen GP. You must pay for the visits to the GP and any specialists, and then apply to your insurance company for a refund.

Where can I find information about Italian insurance policies?
When registering as a student at the University of Bologna, and when the student badge is provided, you immediately have access to the health service in Bologna, as well as emergency assistance.
An insurance policy is offered to foreign students by INA ASSITALIA in agreement with the University of Bologna. In case you choose to purchase this additional insurance, then please take note of the following information (you will actually be able to purchase insurance once you arrive to Italy):
1. In a Post Office ask for a blank payment form (Bollettino Postale), and fill it in as follows:
•  You can write as amount to be paid:  49,00 Euro for a 6-months long insurance / 98,00 Euro for a 12-months long insurance
•  In the lower part, write your personal data (name, surname, address)
2. Pay the amount due in a Post Office
•  please pay to the account number: C/C POSTALE N. 71270003
•  to the attention of: INA ASSITALIA AG. GENERALE DI ROMA
•  address: VIA DEL TRITONE N. 181  00187  ROMA
3. Send a copy of the payment receipt via fax to INA ASSITALIA (+39 06 361 3626), enclosing a clear fax cover sheet with your information (date of birth, place of birth, citizenship, passport number). You can check whether your fax has been received by calling +39 06 361 1676.


How are lectures/classes organized and where do they take place?
Lectures are organized in two semesters each year and take place either in Bologna (Chemical Engineering; Civil Engineering; Environmental Engineering) or in Ravenna (second year of the “Off-shore” curriculum of the previously stated programmes).
Bologna campus of the School of Engineering and Architecture has its own web service for timetables. It is available at the following web address:
To check the timetable of your course units you have to select “Corsi di studio magistrali” (which is the Italian for Master Degrees/ second cycle degrees) and then choose your own programme, selecting the correct year and term (“ciclo” in Italian). You will then be able to select the single course unit. To select course units from a different degree programme of the School of Engineering and Architecture of Bologna you will need to click on “Aggiungi” and to write the name of the course unit or the name of the professor.
Remember to check your timetable often, especially during the first weeks of every term.

Do I need to have a sufficient knowledge of the Italian language?
Knowledge of the Italian language is not required for International Degree Programmes, but students with a poor knowledge of Italian are advised to independently improve it, in order to fully grasp the living experience in Italy. The language centre of the University provides free courses of Italian and online tutorship for foreign students. Find information about the courses here:

Do I have to pass an Italian language test in order to be admitted to the chosen degree programme?
No, the course is entirely taught in English, so no knowledge of Italian is required.

How long does it take to complete the program?
Two years (four terms).

Does the University offer any Italian language courses during the summer? 
The University of Bologna organizes every year Summer Courses of Italian Language and Culture for foreign students, where tuition in class is combined with an afternoon program of cultural trips and activities. Students can learn Italian language, both written and oral, by getting into direct contact with the traditions and culture of the territory.
See details on:

When does the Programme begin?
Fall term begins in mid September, and lessons of the first term last till December. Examination period is in December/January/February, and second term starts at the end of February. The second examination period is in May/June/July and there’s a final examination session in September, before the new a.y. begins. In order to check the exams they can sit according to their study plan, consult specific information and register for a session, once enrolled students need to access AlmaEsami:

Is it mandatory to attend lessons?
No, it is not, but lessons attendance is highly recommended.

Can students work while enrolled in the program?
Because of the very intensive nature of the Degree Programme, it may be very hard to attend the courses and to work in the meanwhile. Students who work, even part-time, usually select only a few courses to attend and complete during each term, thus are more likely to graduate later than within the standard two years.

What type of class schedule can be expected?
The Programme is meant to be full-time. Classes are usually held from Monday to Friday.

Are there any opportunities to study abroad?
Yes. Students of International Degree Programmes are encouraged to enrol in mobility programmes in order to enrich their academic experience with a period of studying abroad.
Exchange agreements are set by single Degree Programmes with partner University abroad, and students can apply in order to attain a Double Degree. Check more info about Double Degree agreements in the dedicated section on the Programme’s webpage.
Moreover, students may apply for Erasmus+ mobility programmes, gaining the possibility to spend at least a semester in a foreign partner University. Erasmus+ agreements are set by UNIBO with dozens of Universities in Europe. See:
Finally, scholarships for preparing dissertation abroad for deserving students are set by the School of Engineering and Architecture and by single Programmes.


Whom is the programme mainly addressed to?
The programme is mainly thought for students who want to achieve an advanced knowledge in the Civil Engineering area, in an international cultural environment. It is particularly designated for students who wish to spend a period of study abroad, with the Dual Degree Programmes with Columbia University and the University of Miami, or the other exchange programmes offered by the University of Bologna (Erasmus, Overseas and others).

How many students attend the course every year?
About 50-60 students every year attend the course, about 40% of which are international students. 80% of the Italian students follow a study-abroad programme in their second year. Read students’ opinions on Student-Profiles.

Is this program wholly offered by the University of Bologna or is it a joint degree with Columbia University and University of Miami?
The Dual Degree is offered as an option for students enrolled in the Masters Programmes of Civil Engineering and Environmental Engineering (ERE international curriculum). Students can select among three joint education Master Programmes: with the University of Columbia, with the University of Miami, with the Université de Liège.
Participation in the Dual Degree programme implies attending courses at the University of Bologna during the first year and at the partner University during the second year.

The selection of students to be included in the Dual Degree programmes is based on merit and is made according to a call issued every year and reserved to students enrolled in the first year of the Master Programmes.